7 Simple Steps to Setting Goals
Everyone can benefit from thinking more strategically, but before you can start to develop a strategy you must know your end goal. It is estimated that approximately 70% of us fail to set goals and only 5% go so far as putting them in writing. So, easier said than done.
As goal setting demands self-discipline, commitment, dedication and practice, I thought we could look at the seven steps anyone can follow to map out their strategy.
1. Be specific and concrete rather than abstract and vague.
2. Goals need to be measurable, tied to time and what needs to be accomplished by that time.
3. Goals must be realistic, attainable and prioritized.
4. Identify potential obstacles that could prevent your goals from being achieved.
5. Identify the risks involved as well as the resources needed to obtain your goals.
6. Establish milestones for the review progress.
7. Finally, periodically review your progress and adjust where and if required.
You can use these basic steps to create a road map for almost anything in your life… a change in career; an achievement you have long sought; the purchase of a new house or even planning your first African safari.
So, what are you waiting for… it’s time to start planning.